I have a pretty awesome family. I am pretty lucky. Yes I fight with them but they still love me and have supported me though everything. I don’t have a massive family but I am close to all my extended family including all my aunties and uncles. We all love catching up with each other and I try to see them as often as I can. I am also blessed to have all 4 sets of grand parents still with us and even though I don’t really know her that well I also have a great grandmother still alive! So who is in my family. I have my Dad and Mum, they are no longer together. My dad remarried a lovely lady who I call my step mum. My mum also remarried to a lovely man who unfortunately passed away 18 months ago. I am the eldest of 3. I have a sister who is 17 months younger then me who is married to a lovely guy. No kids yet but I am hoping soon I might get to finally get to be an aunty! I also have a younger brother (29 months younger) who has been in a relationship with his partner for over 9 years and who I call my sister in law even though there is no ring! My son is the only grandchild so far and it shows. He is very spoilt by everyone! As I said all my grandparents are still alive. On my dad’s side of the family I have 3 aunties and an uncle. All these are married and I have 8 awesome cousins who I am close to and love catching up with when I get the chance. On my mum’s side of the family I have 2 aunts and an uncle. My uncle is married and my aunts are in relationships. I have 3 cousins on this side of the family. I am close to them too and I actually lived with one of my aunts for 5 years and helped her raise her son as she was a single parent. On top of that I also have some step family some I haven’t met as they live overseas but others I have met and they are all lovely! My family is spread out everywhere. My mum lives in the USA, while the rest of my family is spread out throughout Australia. Its good though as I always have somewhere to stay is I have somewhere I want to go. I love my family and I am very lucky to have them in my life.
Do you have a large or small family? Are you close to them?
Just like guys have a ‘bro code’ there is also a code between girls about what you should and shouldn’t do. I personally believe in these things and while I may have broken one or two of them there are a few that I would never even consider breaking. I have lost friends because of the sister code. It is sad that for many people the sister code doesn’t mean anything because I know first hand how badly it can destroy friendships. So here is my sisterhood code that I try to follow.
- Do not flirt with your friends boyfriend and by no means fall for him.
- If you and your friend like the same guy it falls to the rule of who saw him first. It does not matter if he does not care for the one who saw him first. You need to have the blessing of your friend before you proceed if you did not have first dibs.
- Unless your friend has said it is ok then you do not flirt or date your friends brother. This ruins friendships. Just don’t do it.
- Do not make your friends choose a side if you are fighting with another. It turns out bad and you may never get your friend back. ( I am lucky. Most of my life I have had my 2 best friends really dislike each other. They put up with each other for my sake. Yeah I had to deal with a bit of bitching but if it got too much then I would just say to them to stop.)
- If a friend tells you a secret then keep it. Do not tell other people. Same goes for things said in confidence. Sometimes you might have a bitch about another friend. Do not go back and tell that friend. This is the main thing that causes friendships to break down I believe.
- Don’t meddle with a friends relationship. It’s just not on. A relationship should only be between the people who are in it.
- Do not date your friends ex unless you have their permission. The best rule of thumb is wait at least 6 months for any relationship over 3 months or 3 for relationships under 3 months. Make sure they are fairly well over them before you ask. If they say no respect their wishes. Do not go behind their back.
- When you meet someone new, either a new friend or a new boy friend, don’t neglect your old friends. Yes it’s fun to meet someone new but just remember who has been there since the start.
- Be there for your friends if they need you. Be that shoulder to cry on. Even if you don’t know what to say just be someone who will listen.
- If someone is hanging sh*t and teasing your friend, back her up. It doesn’t matter if you cop it for backing her up. She is your friend. She doesn’t deserve it.
- Probably the most important rule of all that so many people forget these days CHICKS BEFORE DICKS.
Do you have a sisterhood code? Is there anything else that you would add to the list?